THIS POSITION HAS BEEN UPDATED. PLEASE NOTE NEW DATES AND HOURS.
Looking for a great summer job? The library is hiring!
We’re looking for a smart, creative, hard-working, and enthusiastic individual to coordinate our annual Summer Reading Club (SRC). As our SRC Coordinator, you will lead a series of activities to encourage a love of books and reading for children. You will gain hands-on experience working with children and families, applying knowledge in fun and creative ways, and working independently.
30 hours/week from July 2 – August 25 (8 weeks). $13.00 per hour.
Purpose and Responsibilities
Your job is to promote reading and literacy by planning, promoting, and facilitating a fun and memorable seven-week SRC program for children aged 4-12. Training and ongoing support will be provided.
Skills and Education
• Must be familiar with a variety of common computer-based applications.
• Enrollment in a post-secondary program in a relevant field is required. High school students planning to attend university in the fall are welcome to apply. Relevant fields include elementary education, early childhood education, library studies, or any field of humanities, sciences, or social sciences with a relevant career interest.
• Organization and planning: Plan and promote activities according to a schedule, and coordinate activities with library staff and community members and organizations.
• Initiative: Use initiative to solve problems; work with minimal supervision.
• Enthusiasm: Engage enthusiastically with reading club theme and topics.
• Communication: Communicate goals and structure of the program to staff and community members through written materials and presentations.
To be eligible, you must:
• Be between 15 and 30 years of age at the start of the employment;
• Have been registered as a full-time student in the previous academic year and intend to return to school on a full-time basis in the next academic year;
• Be legally entitled to work in Canada in accordance with relevant provincial or territorial legislation and regulations;
• Be available for the duration of the work period (July 2 – August 25).
How To Apply
Please submit your cover letter and resume by email to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please include “SRC Application” in the subject line.
This position will remain open until filled. This position is available thanks to funding from the Government of Canada – Canada Summer Jobs.
We encourage applications from people with disabilities, members of visible minorities and indigenous communities, and new immigrants or refugees who meet the above required qualifications.