Agriculture & Food SecurityFood security is ensuring that people have access to quality food. In more detail, it includes food distribution to make sure access is equitable, and leverages community resources to build a food system that is healthy and sustainable. Food security includes the full cycle of the food chain from the farmers to the consumers, and non-profit organizations (food banks, community food centres, food hubs, community and school food programs) that exist to help bring food to those that need it.
Resources - BC
- BC Agriculture and Seafood Knowledge Platform - One-stop support for the entire agri-food chain in BC.
- BC Food Security Gateway – online resource that provides BC communities with up-to-date food security information. The Gateway is meant to inform and link you to projects, initiatives, and organizations in British Columbia as well as publications, tools, guides, and news – so that you, too, can contribute to building food security in BC The Provincial Health Services Authority (PHSA) manages the Gateway in partnership with the Public Health Association of BC (PHABC).
- Food Secure Canada – Canadian alliance of organizations and individuals working together to advance food security and food sovereignty through three interlocking goals: zero hunger, healthy and safe food, and sustainable food systems.
- Food Security (BC Government) – Food security is a core public health program under BC’s Guiding Framework for Public Health (PDF, 2.1MB) goal of Healthy Living and Healthy Communities.
Resources - US
- Agricola - Indexes articles in agricultural magazines and journals from 1980 to the present. Covers veterinary sciences, entomology, plant sciences, forestry, aquaculture and fisheries, farming, food and human nutrition, and environmental studies. Thousands of Agricola records are linked to online fulltext documents. Updated monthly.